Return to the Forum Board Return to the Forum Board Show your Support for Morgan Webb

Watch X-Play on G4TechTV!

Home Page IHMW Forum Online Games Console Games Downloads & Misc. Members Only

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Review For Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Holy Dragon
Posted: Nov 26 2004, 10:41 AM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: Members
Member No.: 21

About two years ago I picked up Metroid Prime on the day it came out. Being a Metroid fan I picked it up knowing it would be good. And I never have been more right. Metroid Prime had demonstrated what the Gamecube could do and proved Metroid like Mario and Zelda could work in 3D. Now Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is out and is going to raise the bar for all Gamecube games to come. Prime 2 is a gorgeous game graphically, and is providing the most fun I have had on the Gamecube since SSBM. New to the series is multiplayer, although Metroid is supposed to give you the feeling of being alone, multiplayer has been well received. Prime 2’s multiplayer isn’t deep but is incredibly fun to play. Now to the review.

Storyline/Plot
You have been sent to planet Aether on a mission to find out what happened to several Galactic Federation Marines after they landed for repairs after an account with the Space Pirates. On Planet Aether you will find that many things lurk beneath its surface for you to reveal. Planet Aether has been split into two worlds, a light world and a dark world. On the light side there is the Luminoth the failing natives of the planet who are losing their war against the Ing of the dark side. In Prime 2 the story is carried mainly by scanning and some encounters with the Luminoth. Using computers, dead bodies, temple scripts, and other sources you can find many different sides of the story that is real detailed and well made.
9.5/10

Controls
In MP2: E you could not ask for better controls. I have heard complaints asking for dual stick controls but the truth is Metroid Prime 2 could not work without these controls. Metroid is a platformer and no other game has pulled off first person platforming like Prime 2. Joy stick controls movement, d-pad switches between visors, c-stick switches weapons, A shoots, B jumps, Y shoots missiles /sets powerbombs, X turns Samus into Morphball form, R allows for manual aiming, L locks on/allows strafing, Z opens the map, and start bring you to the pause menu. The only complaint I have about the control in this game is the rare hang-up.
9.5/10

Gameplay
New to the series is ammo, which adds the need to be aware of beam usage. Although not entirely revolutionary by any means it adds a lot to the gameplay. I have heard arguments that being able to lock on detracts from the game but they couldn’t be more wrong. Enemies do what ever they can to dodge you or aggravate you. Gameplay is the real strength of Prime 2, now with the light and dark world set up which could remind you of LoZ LttP, you will be traversing between portals solving puzzles and backtracking. While in the dark world you take damage from the atmosphere and if you don’t get to safe zones set up by the Luminoth and you could find yourself in a world of hurt. The dark world is almost a mirror image of the light world except more purple and twisted. The gameplay is a definite improvement over the first.
10/10

Graphics
Wow the graphics in this game are the best the Cube has ever seen. The rich detail is simply amazing. Water running of the visor, the face reflecting off the visor during explosions in dark areas, the beauty of this game really makes it stand out.
10/10

Music/Sound
The music in Prime 2 is an excellent score and the sound effects are phenomenal. I cannot see how it could improve.
10/10

Difficulty
If you have played through Prime 1 you will get into Prime 2 fairly easy. The first part of the game is really easy but some parts later made me wonder why they made it that hard. A challenging game but it never feels impossible.
Rent or Buy
Buy!

Overall 10/10
A great game and a must have for any Cube owner.
Storyline: 9.5/10
Controls: 9.5/10
Gameplay: 10/10
Graphics: 10/10
Music: 10/10
PMEmail PosterAOL
Webb-head
Posted: Nov 26 2004, 05:56 PM
Quote Post

Veteran

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

:huh:
PMEmail PosterICQYahoo
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll